The FEE (Foundation for Environmental Education) announced the sites awarded the sought-after Blue Flag label last week. This year, the White Isle has been given a total of 10 Blue Flags, eight of which are for beaches and two for the marinas in Ibiza Town and San Antonio.
Well-known for their crystalline turquoise waters, soft white sand and wide range of facilities, Ibizan beaches are among the most famous in the world so it's not surprising that a whopping nine of them have been awarded the coveted Blue Flag. These are mainly concentrated in the northern half of the island, around the towns of Santa Eulalia and Sant Joan. Portinatx Beach, Cala Benirrás, famous for its breathtaking sunset, Portinatx Beach, Cala Sant Vicent, Es Figueral Beach, Cala Llenya, Es Canar, Playa d'es Riu and Cala Llonga are this season's chosen beaches.
Blue Flags are given out by an independent organisation called the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). Beaches are evaluated each year and monitored for their facilities and cleanliness. Based on 32 separate criteria, each beach or marina is judged on the quality of the water, safety and services (including lifeguards and first aid), information for beach users, environmental education and protection of the coastal environment.
More Ibiza Insights...
- Best 5 rooftop bars in Ibiza
- Top 10 celebrities to spot in Ibiza this summer
- The Rolling Stones rock Ibiza
- Top 5 family beaches in Ibiza
- Travel to Ibiza opens on June 21st 2020
- Blue Flag beaches in Ibiza in 2020
- Open Air Movie Night at Amante, Sol d'en Serra
- Summer Lovers at Nikki Beach, Santa Eulalia
- Bloop - International Proactive Art Festival 2020, Ibiza Island
- Arte en Aiyanna 2020 - A Series of Art Exhibitions, Cala Nova
- Bongo's Bingo Ibiza Pool Party at Ibiza Rocks, San Antonio
- Craig David's TS5 Pool Party at Ibiza Rocks, San Antonio