Lardy Thursday (Mardi Gras) signals the start of Carnival festivities on the island of Ibiza. At this time of year, fancy dress outfits and the traditional ‘mariol•lo’ costumes will be a common sight, as everyone has fun with tortilla competitions and all kinds of entertainment.
Most towns and villages in Ibiza organise colourful parades through their streets, called 'Rúas de Carnaval' which feature fancy dress competitions, live music and traditional produce tastings.
The week finishes on Ash Wednesday, when the sardine is buried symbolising the end of Carnival and the start of Lent.
More Ibiza Insights...
- Autumn is the new high season in Ibiza
- Ibiza in March 2020 - What weather to expect & what to do
- What's on in Ibiza in February 2020?
- Ibiza in January 2020 - What's on & what to do
- Happy New Year from Ibiza!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeIbiza.com